Who does this Tournament Help?
This charitable event supports a small Catholic parish in the city of Saint Louis, Mo. Saint Mary's Assumption is located in the Lafayette Square neighborhood, and also supports an elementary school (grades Pre-K thru eight) located in Crestwood, Mo.
Proceeds from this event will help the parish in many ways. Particular areas we need help with are creating both a handicap access, as well as interior access to the church basement.
Since we are a small parish, we rely on the kindness and charity of both our parishioners and those who participate in our charitable events such as this tournament.
The following were completed through your generous help!
- Church Bell Tower Complete
- Boys & Girls School Bathrooms
Completely Renovated Summer 2019
A Brief History of St. Mary's Assumption in Lafayette Square
This beautiful Gothic church built in the early 1860's has watched the area change many times. Originally an Episcopal church, it was purchased by Ruthenian Greek Catholics in 1902. In 1896, a tornado destroyed some of the building and most of the huge bell tower. The bell tower was never rebuilt. In 1942, the sanctuary was endowed with a Romanesque baldachino (canopy) over the freestanding altar. In the recent past, the church has been home to several Protestant and nondenominational groups.
St. Mary's Assumption, which seats 300, was obtained by the Society of St. Pius X in 1996 and renovated. The oak pews and parquet floor have been restored to their original condition and tuckpointing and roof repairs have been made. The house across the parking lot to the north of the church has also been completely renovated, and serves as the parish rectory.
The original Stations of the Cross were lost through the years. The beautiful Stations presently in the church, dating from the 1880s, were saved from St. Ann's Church and Shrine and preserved in storage until they were again resurrected to a place of honor at St. Mary's Assumption.
Inside the church, you will see refurbished original paintings from the early 1900's of the 12 apostles that adorn the ceiling of the church nave, along with pictures of Jesus and Mary above the sanctuary. The large sanctuary lamp dating from 1890 was added as part of the restoration. Behind the main altar are five large stained glass windows representing Our Lord and the four evangelists - Matthew, Mark, Luke and John.
In keeping with the Greek style architecture, there are no statues in the main portion of the church. At the front of the nave just inside the communion rail, are two imposing mosaics of Jesus and Mary created circa 1850.